Wednesday, October 15, 2014

St. Teresa of Avila, Doctor and Virgin

Today is the memorial of one of the Bear's favorite saints, Teresa of Avila. She lived in Spain from 1515 to 1582 and combined a life of mysticism with writing and vigorous activity within the Church. Her greatest work, The Interior Castle, is a wonderful classic every Catholic should read. (Slowly, and with a highlighter.) It is not an easy read, but that has to do more with the circumstances of its writing, rather than difficulty of the material. She wrote as poor health and duties time, and did not have access to earlier portions of the manuscript. She was proclaimed a Doctor of the Church by Pope Paul VI.

The Interior Castle was the Bear's Lenten reading last time, and he cannot recommend it highly enough.

"St. Teresa's Bookmark" was a prayer found on card in her breviary after her death. It is particularly helpful today.

Let nothing affright thee,
Nothing dismay thee.
All is passing,
God ever remains.
Patience obtains all.
Whoever possesses God
Cannot lack anything
God alone suffices.

Prayer from Today's Morning Prayer

O God,
who through your Spirit
raised up Saint Teresa of Jesus
to show the Church the way to seek perfection,
grant that we may always be nourished
by the food of her heavenly teaching
and fired with longing for true holiness.
Through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son,
who lives and reigns with you in the unity of the Holy Spirit,
one God, for ever and ever.

4 comments:

  1. I can't highlight in any book. I got in trouble in (Catholic) grade school for writing in a book. Haven't done it since. I tried to highlight in college. Every darned sentence in grad school books was yellow or pink! I dropped that quick.

    Oh, there is actually one exception, if you promise not to laugh at me. A friend suggested a Marianne Williamson book when I was in a time of trouble. Hey, forgive me, man, please.

    I couldn't stand the altered abusive theology and fantasy world. So, I corrected the text as I read along. I couldn't finish the book, needless to say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, you see, I didn't REALLY highlight -- I had it in my Logos collection and "e-outlined" it in four different colors on my mobile device. That way it's not "defacing" the book, although, to be honest, there's nothing wrong with highlighting, although I do appreciate your feelings. Another advantage of Logos is I can divide a book up into forty days of readings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if that counts. Logos a variation on Kindle I guess?

      Delete
  3. Logos is a program that runs Bibles, commentaries, classics and other Catholic writings on your computer or mobile device. Logos itself is free (more exactly, the Catholic version is called "Verbum") and comes with some free resources. Then you buy the content that you want.

    What makes it different from a reader like Kindle is that everything is indexed and made to work seamlessly together. It's a must have for amateur Catholic scholars.

    ReplyDelete

Moderation is On.

Featured Post

Judging Angels Chapter 1 Read by Author

Quick commercial for free, no-strings-attached gift of a professionally produced audio book of Judging Angels, Chapter 1: Last Things, read...