Monday, May 18, 2015

A Strange Experience

The Bear and his mate were in the St. Louis area, and stopped to eat on the east side of the Mississippi at a Thai restaurant. As the Bear made his way to the restroom to wash his paws, he passed a man sitting at a booth with a little girl. If you had to pick a celebrity to describe him you might pick Kenny Rogers, although you wouldn't be real close. He had a blue shirt on.

We were still waiting for someone to take our order when the man stepped up and asked to have a word with the Bear. Being the obliging sort, the Bear started to get up, but no, he said, that wasn't necessary. He put his hand on the Bear's shoulder and first announced he (the man) had been cured of cancer. Then he prayed for the Bear. It started something like this:

"Heavenly Father, I don't know what's ailing this Bear, but You do."

Really that's all the Bear remembers, but the gist of it was that the Bear gets to feeling better.

Then he just left, without saying goodbye, as least so far as the Bear can remember.

The Bear pondered the sincerity, spontaneity, and courage of the act, not to mention the kindness. He also considered how accurate the prayer was. Without going into non-blog territory, you may have noticed SCB hasn't been tended as diligently as it has been in the past.

The Bear doesn't have any more to say about it; res ipsa loquitur, as lawyers say.

9 comments:

  1. wow. Just....WOW. God put a big, ol, fat rose in your hand...thru the hands of Kenny Rogers. (bet that sentence has never been typed in the history of the world)

    Hope you truly are (and for the long haul) feeling better. God bless you Bear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds to me like a prayer answered. May it be so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "But in his final words I found an ace that I could keep." You know the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You may have been sent an Angel. One never knows.
    Glad you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ursum Corbinia: I pray that this event be propitious for you and your family. If you will indulge me in allowing the following caveat emptor: be cautious about allowing others (especially non-Catholics) to pray over you. To do so is the purview of the Holy Priest alone, with the exception being grace of state conferred on one's own parents. Recently -also in a restaurant- a somewhat unctuous fellow attempted to do this over my ailing spouse, from which I demurred. Since that time I suspected that had I allowed this to occur, a curse would have been invoked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps, but a house divided cannot stand, so if the Lord's name was invoked I would be less concerned, otherwise I agree one needs to be cautious.

      Delete
  6. Did he really say 'this Bear'?? I found THAT most remarkable.
    I love your blog...It's my new fave. I always come looking to see if you have been around. I hope you are feeling better- and not just because I like reading your posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Hopefully I'll resume regular posting within the next couple of weeks.

      Delete

Your comment will likely be posted after the Bear snuffles it. Please, no anonymous posts.

Featured Post

Judging Angels Chapter 1 Read by Author

Quick commercial for free, no-strings-attached gift of a professionally produced audio book of Judging Angels, Chapter 1: Last Things, read...