Skip to main content

Every Picture Tells a Story

L to R: Wellington, Napoleon, and Goatburger

"Now, kids, pay close attention to ol' uncle Goatburger. Walking on logs is among the most --"

"Your name is funny," said brown little Napoleon.

"We don't talk about my name, unless you want to get butted into next week."

"I think it's funny, too!" exclaimed snowy white little Wellington.

"What did I just say? You're not even weaned and here you are showing disrespect to your elders. Where's your father?"

"We have a father?" the kids bleated in unison. (Goats are not known for their paternal instincts.)

"Anyway, as I was saying, just watch and do what I -- Wellie! You're on the wrong log!"

"What's a log?" asked Wellington loudly.

It's hard to believe how well-equipped baby goats are when God sends them into the world. The darker baby is only four weeks old. The white one is just a week. The Bear has to say that Ava (our Saanen dairy goat) is often reluctant to leave the pasture filled with clover to tend to her baby. But finally, we'll have goat milk for a little soap and cheese.


Comments

  1. Adorable. Thanks for posting pics of the cuties. Makes me smile. How many do you have? Any cattle?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No cattle, goodness! I think we are currently at eight goats, five layers and a rooster. I am lobbying for more with the goal of becoming as self-sufficient as possible. We are a rescue sanctuary, so we get the occasional runaway or abused animal. The shepherdess draws the line at pigs, though. Our main crop this year was yellow squash. There has been so much rain this year most everything else just rotted. Goatburger is our only big breed. The others are dwarfs. The big ones are much harder to handle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh pity. I like pigs. It's like having a brush come to life and display affection.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you've got a nice extended 'family' going! I wasn't advocating you getting cattle. Goodness knows that'd take a lot of land, etc. I've just got a soft spot for them. And goats! Love your goats. Good luck in the future to you and your family.

    P.S. I agree with the shepherdess in drawing the line at pigs :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have 10 goats, I've been informed. And we just got a rescue hen today -- an araucana. They lay blue eggs. The Humane Society had her in a cage with a litter box LOL.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comment will likely be posted after the Bear snuffles it. Please, no anonymous posts.