Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Acceptance

The VA clinic the Bear goes to has a sign with a virtue next to every door. "Capability." "Prudence." The Bear jokes that it is like a Puritan brothel. "Acceptance" is one of them.

Some virtues just don't grow in young soil. The Bear read an article about Patty Griffin's new album, Servant of Love. She's 51 years old and has never been as big a seller as the artists she has inspired and collaborated with. She's normally categorized in Americana, but the Bear would hate to have to categorize Servant of Love. Anyway, this is what she said in the interview:
"At this point in my life, a lot of seeds just ain’t ever going to come up. What I got planted, what I dreamed I should plant, has been planted now,” Griffin told The Associated Press at a deli near her Austin home. “There’s this feeling of fatigue that takes over. It’s grief for things that have passed you by because of your age and will not happen."
That's a kind of melancholy acceptance, but one with which the Bear can identify.

There is a more peaceful kind of acceptance, which seems to have been a theme of late. The Bear found this quote from a San Diego therapist named Leonard Noel.
Acceptance does not mean that we agree with what is happening or that we believe it must continue... Acceptance means that we are able to gaze into the face of the present and say, "You are in front of me, and I acknowledge you are here."
Just that. There are other things in front of us. We choose what to give our attention to. It makes sense to choose things that we can do something with. Too often we see, react, and we're off to the races!

The sound byte, the agitprop, the inflammatory essay. Basic methods of psychological manipulation are now in the hands of everyone. They have all combined to turn us into hand grenades, just waiting for somebody to pull our pins. That energy is inside of us, latent, waiting. What is it doing to us in the meantime? The Bear is not qualified to say.

A woman named Jackie in our parish passed away. She used to take communion to the elderly at the nursing home. She may have been concerned with greater things, more riveting matters of ecclesiastical politics, but if so, the Bear doesn't know. He doubts those things are of much importance to her now, or are more important than what she did.

Jackie had no family. She had no money to pay for a funeral. The Bear could contribute toward it, not much, but some, and say a few prayers. Burying the dead is one of the corporal works of mercy.

Jackie is among the matters that are before the Bear today, respect to her body and the welfare of her soul. Other matters are considered, and calmly set aside for now.

8 comments:

  1. Yes, re: acceptance. Acknowledge and accept that something/some one is as it (he/she) is. We have to do a lot of that in every day life. Our own children are not robots we can control. They grow up and start having their own ideas, their own way of doing things. Crazy, isn't it?! Quit fighting what we can't change.

    I am very sorry about Jackie's passing. May she rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had a crash course in acceptance the last couple of years. I never could have gotten it before everything that was "me" seemed over and done with. I don't suppose it's a virtue when you don't have a choice ;-)

      Delete
    2. That seems to be how it is for most of us. It is a "virtue" attained by necessity. The alternative is misery.

      Delete
  2. Dear Bear: "pass away" is a euphemism I eschew. What's wrong with good old "died". "Pass away" is totally Nuchurch. Get with it, Bear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I so need an editor. I can't pay anything, am extremely difficult to work with, but glad you've volunteered SP LOL

      Delete
  3. I hear wisdom in this acceptance - not resignation. Divine Mercy for Jackie who brought Jesus to the homebound.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eternal rest grant unto her, O Lord. Sorry about Jackie's passing (or as Sandpiper correctly points out- death).

    And as far as acceptance-I remember another blog writer saying that we should not just accept but consent to the 'change'. I've never quite made it to the 'consent' stage. I've experienced the effects of ageing which prevent me from pursuing my profession and I, too, feel that that 'me' is gone. Not happy about it, but I'm trying to find other things that I can do.

    Just know that St. Corbinian's Bear provides help for those of us who are currently confused and saddened about the current state of Holy Mother Church. Keep on blogging, you have the ability to put into words what a lot of us are feeling but can't articulate.

    It's a bumpy ride. I'm not in control-someone else is driving and it's scary. I've fastened my seat belt and I have confidence that the air bags will deploy if and when there is a crash. Now, I find that I must disengage from all the craziness and have confidence in God and just Trust.

    ReplyDelete

Your comment will likely be posted after the Bear snuffles it. Please, no anonymous posts, and no links to videos. Have a great day!

Featured Post

Judging Angels Chapter 1 Read by Author

Quick commercial for free, no-strings-attached gift of a professionally produced audio book of Judging Angels, Chapter 1: Last Things, read...