Skip to main content

The Bear and the Noonday Devil

One day the Bear was fast asleep in his bed, it being late in the morning, when he heard a familiar voice. At first he thought it was a dream, but he woke to find St. Corbinian in his cave.

"So, you're alive after all," said the Bear's friend. "I haven't seen you in awhile."

The Bear got up and stretched. "Has it been long? I'm sorry."

The saint looked at the Bear with alarm. "Bear, let's go for a walk. At the end of the walk, I will show you something you have never before seen."

"I don't know," the Bear answered doubtfully. "Bear feels like going back to bed."

"No," the saint said firmly. "That is exactly what you must not do. You will come with me."

The Bear sighed. "Bear doesn't feel like it. He's tired of all this."

"You have not been saying your prayers," the saint said. It was not a question. "You need not answer. Oh, my dear Bear, what straits you find yourself in, and you do not even know it. Once you carried a pack all the way to Rome for me. Surely you can walk unburdened a short distance with an old friend."

"Bear will go. But only because we are friends. And Bear might find something to eat."

"Oh, we shall find something, but I am afraid you cannot eat it," the saint warned.

Once they started their walk, the Bear knew they were headed in the direction of the abbey. The saint asked, "How many of us are there on this walk, Bear?"

The Bear thought a moment. "Two?"

"You may have a different answer before we're done. I want to talk to you about the Noonday Devil. The name is from a psalm of David. Its effects are sometimes called acedia. But I want you to know what he is not, first. It happens that a monk may fall into melancholia. A feeling of listlessness, and sadness. We treat that as a malady of body and soul. Sometimes singing psalms will help. But in melancholia, nothing is appealing, no activity is enjoyable. Do you understand."

"Yes, Father. Bear has suffered from this distemper before."

"The Noonday Devil is similar, but not the same. Around noon, a monk in the field may grow weary, and hot. A long afternoon still stretches before him. He watches the sun. Oh, how slowly it moves! It seems his work will never end, and he will never get his supper. As day follows day, he begins to neglect his prayers. I have seen monks even disappear before the Opus Dei, the work of God. I must start you on your Latin, Bear! And reading! Oh, we have so much work ahead of us, my old friend!"

The Bear sighed, but said nothing.

"No, of course not," the saint muttered. "To continue, melancholia, the 'distemper' as you call it, affects everything. But the Noonday Devil cares only for your religious obligations. Someone with melancholia might stay in bed for days. But someone under the spell of the Noonday Devil is restless, and may even flee the monastery. It is a very serious matter, Bear."

The Bear did not answer, and they concluded their walk in the glade on the sunset side of the abbey. Unexpectedly, St. Corbinian fell to his knees and raised his eyes toward heaven.

"God, one of your majestic creatures is suffering. I ask you to free him in the name of Jesus Christ, at whose name every creature in the Heavens, and on the earth, and under the earth must bend their knee. But if you grant the prayer of your worthless servant, I ask the additional favor that this Bear's eyes may be opened, that he may never forget that our struggles are with the world, and the flesh, but also, the devil."

No sooner had St. Corbinian finished his prayer, than the Bear felt a powerful tug on his arm. He looked and was horrified to see a richly dressed boy, as black as charcoal, grinning up at him, pulling him away from St. Corbinian with irresistible strength. Suddenly, the fiend cried out with a voice the Bear has never forgotten, delivering a message the Bear has never divulged. Afterwards, he disappeared in the blink of an eye.

Suddenly the Bear felt wrongness in his heart, and sorrow.

"I'll hear your confession, Bear. But first, how many were on our walk?"

The Bear took some time working it out, then said, "Three?"

"Correct. Never forget this, Bear. Devils are real. The Noonday Devil is an especially dangerous threat. Your protection are your prayers, and Bearish stubbornness. When you do not feel like praying, that is the very moment you must pray. When you hear the first whisper of rebellion, sing a psalm, make the sign of the cross, recite holy scripture, work with your hands, er, paws. The Noonday Devil loves nothing better than to ruin Lent for souls. But never give up. You can always beat him if you do what I say. He only wins if you give up."

"I want psalms," the Bear said earnestly.

"Then I will teach you to read," St. Corbinian said with a smile.

"And write," said the Bear.

"A writing Bear," the old man mused. "I will consider the wisdom of that. There is no telling where that might lead."

Comments

  1. I love your stories, Bear. Thank you. But, one thing - wouldn't there be 4 on the walk including God? Just curious. I'll bow to your wisdom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you might add a guardian angel, too, and maybe some other angels dispatched go help the Bear. Who knows? In terms of creatures, three serves the story. Besides, the Bear cannot count above three at this point. I am very happy you enjoy my stories.

      Delete
    2. Oh my - I forgot about the guardian angels. How silly of me. I think for the sake of the lesson we shall stick with three. You're a very talented writer - for a bear.

      Delete
  2. I am there too. Full stop. Couldn't stay for Mass today. It had been coming for days; had felt the downward tug. Don't want to pray or go out. Have been on the go for months and never miss Mass but did today...

    ReplyDelete
  3. "A writing Bear," the old man mused. "I will consider the wisdom of that. There is no telling where that might lead."

    Oh dear St. Corbinian...thank you for teaching the Bear to write...many good things have come from it. MUCHOS gracias!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well written, sir...has a resonance with the wisdom contained in the Imitation of Christ

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice Mr. Bear. You always have something helpful to share that comes at the right time.
    Thanks and God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. With you on this Bear; you write/struggle, we read and be a Simon of Cyrene in our comments.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was very nicely written, and I know it is impossible to talk about some things. Yes, this was very nicely written.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for this timely post. I've just downloaded "The Noonday Devil, Acedia, the Unnamed Evil of Our Times, by Jean-Charles Nault, O.S.B Abbot of Saint-Wandrille (Ignatius Press). I've been feeling this depression/torpor/disgust/changeability for some time now and am so glad to put a name to it - and to find a real Catholic book about it - and what to do about it.

    Thank you again - God is so good - He always sends me what I need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can use the search box in the right column to find the Bear's writings on acedia. It is important to always distinguish acedia from clinical depression. The rough and ready rule is that depression eats up your whole life, while acedia concentrates on your spiritual life and religious practices.

      Delete
    2. Dear Daughter of Mary (I like that name!) - I pray that you will get as much out of the book as I did. Although I had never heard of acedia prior to reading a description of the book, as I turned the pages I could see myself in just about every instance. It really helped me understand the enemy and better equipped to do battle with him. May God bless you abundantly.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Your comment will likely be posted after the Bear snuffles it. Please, no anonymous posts.