- 12/16/16 - Saw an ad with Martin Sheen and some other actors begging 21 electors not to vote for Trump. Can we give the montage of different people looking into the camera and sincerely saying the same thing, one after the other, a rest, at long last? The Pope Videos use a similar formula. It's stale, Marty, Frank.
- 12/16/16 - My VA doc should be a veterinarian. Listening to patients describe their symptoms would not be expected. The Bear has been sick for a month, with earaches, sore throat, runny nose, and other neck-up symptoms of the sort he is not used to dealing with. Anyway, it's good to learn there's nothing wrong with him, although he still feels awful. Perhaps he will write himself a prescription for imaginary antibiotics to deal with his imaginary infection. "What do you do all day, Bear?" / "I write." / "Why?" / "I'm a writer." / "Really? What are you writing?" / "A novel." / "Is that right? Who is the publisher?" / [Thinking - fine, he's just humoring me now.] "Hope and Life Press." / What kind of novel is it?" / "About a Bear who eats his incompetent doctors." / "Oh, well... "
- 12/16/16 - Susan will be happy to learn that Father Rainbow got rehabilitated in JA. Every bit of feedback was considered and most was adopted. It is a very different book now, with Catholicism in its DNA. Screwtape Letters by Raymond Chandler. Should be a lot more fun, although still serious in themes, character and plot. I wanted a tagline "Even Funnier Than The Brothers Karamazov" but that got nixed. Last 24 hours of story time! Sorry about the lapsus linguae yesterday. But it's easy to forget I'm really a Bear.
- 12/15/16 - THE CHURCH'S NEW MISSION: as Fr. Lombardi put it, "rebranding." Keep the institutional lights on by projecting a new image engaged with issues the West cares about. Sexual sins, Last Things, the exclusive nature of the real Church founded by Christ? No. Instead, tolerance, - interfaith and ecumenism, global warming, "a pastoral approach" to sexual sins, and a need to portray itself as accepting, nay, welcoming, nay, enthusiastic! The Church does not, in it's leftward slide, show evidence of being exempt from O'Sullivan's Law. The Pope Videos may not be successful, but their Catholic-content-free messages represent the new face of the Relevant Church.
- 12/15/16 - IF WE MUST BE PROTESTANTS , why must we be the worst sort of Protestant? Let me be a stern Puritan with only a Bible and Pilgrim's Progress in his house, or a Jumbotron Evangelical sipping a latte and eating a doughnut in my car before heading in to sway to the praise band and hear a sermon about Jesus instead of freaking global warming. Instead, we seem to have found the handful of sects even more sissified than the Franciscan church, so that Archbishop Cupich can feel like an Alpha Male.
- 12/15/16 - THE FRENCH HAVE A WORD FOR a certain kind of book meant to be read "avec d'une main." After a visit to Audible this morning, I learned that apparently a surprising number of women are reading that sort of book with no hands at all.
- 12/15/16 - THE DEPICTION OF HELL AND DEMONS usually falls between two equally unimpressive stools. The lurid Medieval imagination which led Fyodor Karamazov to get bogged down in wondering where devils got their iron to make pitchforks, and Screwtape-like didactic parodies. I suspect devils are pleased with both, because if some must still believe in them, let them at least not imagine a terrifying, organized, efficient state dedicated to the idea of conquering the world and taking their rightful place as its rulers. Why should we imagine Hell, which is, after all, peopled with our superiors, as a Bosch farce? The only thing Martin Luther ever did right was to throw his inkpot at the Devil. Until you've thrown your iPad at the Devil, you're not taking him seriously.
12/14/16 JUDGING ANGELS TEASE.! Everyone is dealing with moral questions in their own way as the novel approaches its climax. Some have less trouble with them than others. One issue is an appalling demand from kidnappers. Every decision has consequences. You really probably shouldn't make yourself the scapegoat when dealing with...
"If you’re really afraid it’s a sin, those are all on me, okay? Until we get Sandy. And I mean everything. You’re forgiven in advance.”
“You don’t know what you’re saying, Alice,” George said, horrified. “You’re making yourself the scapegoat. It was a goat who bore the Hebrews’ sins, and was driven into the desert. There dwelt the demon Azazel. Take it back. My sins are my own, and yours are yours.”
“Nope. I’m not taking anything back. Let them be on my head.”
There was a silence, which was finally broken by George. He spoke so softly, he could barely be heard. “’His blood be on us-‘“
“’-and on our children,’” Andy finished. “The mob who demanded Jesus be crucified. Now we’re probably cursed so hard, even my iyanifa grandmother and seven babalawos couldn’t get it off of us.”
“You’re all crazy religious fanatics,” Alice said. “I was right all along.”
- So, as I understand the New York Times, which is comparing the supposed Russian selection of Trump to "another famous break-in 44 years ago," the Russians hacked into Democrat computers, and did nothing more than leak what they actually found there. So, worst case scenario, they merely exposed the slimy underbelly of Hillary and her party, correct? So if you get stopped and your girlfriend yells, "He got weed!" it's her fault for diming you out, not yours for actually having the weed.
- 12/13/16 - HAPPY ST. LUCY'S DAY. Virgin and martyr. Patroness of Siracusa (Sicily) and Malta, and (for some reason) writers. St. Lucy pray for us who struggle to be edifying, as well as entertaining, and are trying hard every day to bring our projects to conclusion.
- 12/13/16 - GOOD LATINIST NEEDED to translate a few simple words, sing. & plural. Tempter. (Surprisingly tough; "tentatore?") (f. One who is) Red, as in "a Red." or "Red," a class or a person. But not a nickname. "Rubricata/ae?" UPDATE: Looks like Rubricata and Tempator. "I'm not some lowly Temptator with a grubby list of porn sites and too many helpings of casserole. I'm a Rubricata - the best there is."
- 12/13/16 - A TRUE MIRACLE. On the Feast Day of Our Lady of Guadalupe, eight years ago, the Bear returned to the Church from Orthodoxy. The miracle is he's still here. Stipulating Orthodoxy's own problems, what it came down to was recognizing that he is a Bear of the West. The Catholic Church is his patrimony. Ironically. I decided I could not go wrong finding where Peter is. Well... The Bear doesn't have much to say about Pope Francis' bona fides. Bear logic is pretty rough and ready, as befits a 450 gram brain. Clearly, we have problems, and I doubt we are going to be able to trust the Church anytime soon.
- 12/13/16 - BOOK ABOUT MICHAEL VORIS AND HIS SELF-OUTING: Bear is not plugging it, and, in fact, won't even mention the title or author. It's a short book about the behind-the-scenes drama surrounding Michael Voris' self-outing. The only reason the Bear was even curious was because he was a member of the not-so-exclusive club of bloggers groomed by one-time Church Militant TV "fixer," Terry Carroll. The author does seem to have a lot of information, like emails and such. I have no reason to doubt any of it, but a true behind-the-scenes project like this would have to rely on people happy to hand over emails, and provide information: i.e. to dish. In other words, perhaps people who now want to distance themselves from Voris. It is extremely unflattering to the point of TMI, but, hey, it's a story, and it raises some interesting points. The author disapproves of Voris criticizing bishops, and maintains that homosexuals are psychologically wounded people who are not necessarily ready to start an "apostolate" just because they stop practicing, without treatment first. The Bear was one of the few bloggers who wrote about it at the time without swooning over Voris' "heroism" for acknowledging his hand was in the cookie jar when he was caught. (He didn't throw Voris under the bus, either.) Bears just aren't all that excited by such things. Why have so many media priests and prominent media laymen imploded in the past few years? Occupational hazard? Or do people who crave the limelight tend to have egos that get them into trouble?