|Ex ossibus sanctissimorum Apostolorum|
The Holy Apostles
Above, for your edification, are first class relics of the Twelve Apostles in a brass multi-reliquary put together and sealed by the Augustinians. All the relics are ex ossibus - that is, pieces of their bones. This reliquary was given to me by a Catholic priest.
Here is the list of the above relics:
- Peter, aka the Fisherman, son of John and brother of Andrew;
- Andrew, son of John and brother of Peter;
- James, aka the Elder, son of Zebedee and brother of John;
- John, aka the Beloved; son of Zebedee and brother of James. The only Apostle who did not run away for the Crucifixion of Jesus Christ and who died a peaceful death;
- Bartholomew, aka Nathanael;
- Thomas, aka Didymus, the Doubter;
- Matthias, the tax collector son of Alpheus (Cleophas) and cousin of Christ (through Joseph);
- James, aka The Younger; son of Alpheus, brother of Matthias, Jude, and Simon; cousin of Christ;
- Jude Thaddeus, son of Alpheus, brother of James, Simon, and Jude; cousin of Christ;
- Simon, aka the Zealot; son of Alpheus, brother of James, Jude, and Matthias; cousin of Christ; and
- Barnabas, one of the 70 disciples, the companion of Paul and cousin of Mark the Evangelist (John Mark, also one of the 70; one of the servants at Cana and the young man who ran away naked when Christ was arrested in Gethsemane). The 'replacement' for Judas Iscariot.
The main relics of the Apostles can be found in the following locations:
- Peter - Basilica di San Pietro, Vatican City State;
- Andrew - Cathedral of Saint Andrew, Patras, Greece;
- James the Elder - Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela, Galicia, Spain;
- John - Basilica of Saint John, Ephesus, Turkey;
- Philip - Basilica Minore dei Santi Apostoli, Rome, Italy; and in the Hierapolis of Phrygia, Turkey;
- Bartholomew - Basilica di San Bartolomeo all'Isola, Rome, and at the Basilica di San Bartolomeo, Benevento, Italy; at the Cathedral of Frankfurt, Germany, and at Canterbury Cathedral, England;
- Thomas - Basilica di San Tommaso, Ortona, Italy; at San Thome Minor Basilica, Chennai, India; and on the island of Chios, Greece;
- Matthias - Cattedrale di Salerno, Salerno, Italy; and at the Saint Matthias Benedictine Abbey, Trier, Germany;
- James the Younger - Cathedral of Saint James, Jerusalem (seat of the Armenian Patriarchate), and at the Basilica Minore dei Santi Apostoli, Rome, Italy;
- Jude - Basilica di San Pietro, Vatican City State, and at the National Shrine of Saint Jude, Chicago, Illinois;
- Simon - Basilica di San Pietro, Vatican City State; and
- Barnabas - Monastery of Saint Barnabas, Salamis, Cyprus.
© Marcelle Bartolo-Abela, aka the Bald Eagle.